Monday, February 28, 2011

Other Conferences and Things to Note

I know you're all at home, whining, "H, wheres my Great West preview," "H, what are the odds Utah gets the 5 seed in the MWC tourney instead of New Mexico," "H, break up the 5 way tie for 7th in the Big East." Well, this post is to briefly let you know what I will and wont be doing in the next week.

I WILL be doing tournament previews for every single conference. So, just like you see below, I will have an entry for every tournament as soon as the fields are set for each tournament.

I WONT be figuring out the odds of each team getting each seed in the tournament. There's two games left, figure it out you yourself you lazy bums. In reality though, I probably would have done this if I didn't have a film to edit by Thursday. But, such is life.

I WILL point out games of particular interest/importance in relation to the conference seedings as I see fit. I won't waste your time and say the obvious like: "UNC is hosting Duke Saturday night, and the winner will win the ACC," because you all know that. Maybe the game between USC and Washington State, in Pullman, Thursday night is important. Why? Because right now, USC is in 4th, Wazzu in 6th. Assuming USC loses to Washington, this game means everything. A win clinches no worse than a tie for fourth in the Pac10, and a loss could drop them to 6th. This is important because 4th place guarantees they play Cal or Wazzu again in the first round, and if they were to finish in 6th, they would have to possibly play Washington again in the first round. If the Pac10 has any dreams of getting four teams into the tournament, it is going to be the team that finishes in 4/5, and wins that first round game. So, that all being said, the USC Wazzu game is pretty important. I WILL notify you of games such as this.

I WILL do the A-Sun preview tonight, as soon as the Gulf Coast takes on the SC-Upstate.

Again, the Ivy League does not have a tournament. Harvard hosts Princeton Saturday night. Right now, it is extremely possible that Harvard will win out, and Princeton will win 2/3. If this were to occur, the two would be tied. I don't know what the tiebreaker is. I went to the website to find out, but couldnt. However, I did get another piece of information. The scrolling banner at the top of the Ivy League website read: "Breaking News: The Ivy League celebrates Black History Month." Really? This is breaking news? Had they not before? Are they just starting to celebrate today, the final day of February?

Rest assured, I WILL do a Great West preview. Why do I make note of this? Because the Great West just came into existence last year. As a rule, their conference champion does not automatically qualify for the Big Dance until 2020 (mark your calenders). But, the champion does go to the CBI tournament. So, I wouldnt want to deprive you of any information that could be valuable to you as you fill out your CBI bracket.

1 comment:

  1. That scenario described in the USC-Wazzu game was from USC's perspective. A win by USC guarantees no worse than a tie for fourth, while a loss could drop them to 6th, and etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete